Lens maker SLR Magic made waves when they announced that they were testing out a new full frame HyperPrime lens last August. Initial speculations were that the lens would come with a Nikon/Canon mount, but SLR Magic has since confirmed that it would come with a Leica M mount.
After months of waiting, SLR Magic has finally announced the HyperPrime 50mm f/0.95 lens officially:
SLR Magic opens up the M mount lens lineup with the new SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95 ultra fast normal focal length lens. The world’s fastest interchangeable camera lens with an image circle beyond full frame coverage in its focal length, the SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95 concept lens will be publicly available for experience testing in September 2012 at Photokina in Cologne, Germany.
Here are some of the specifications of the lens:
- Lens Type: Fast normal lens with seven Tantalum glass elements to ensure superior cinematic performance.
- Compatible Cameras: All RangeFinder M mount, LM mount for cinematography, E-mount, and Micro Four Thirds cameras
- Optical Design: 12 elements in 7 groups
- Distance range: 0.70m to ∞, combined scale meter/feet
- Aperture: Manually controlled diaphragm, 12 aperture blades (circular), lowest value 16
- Bayonet: M-mount, E-mount, micro four thirds
- Filter Mount: 62mm; filter mount does not rotate
- Surface Finish: Black anodized
- Dimensions (length to bayonet mount): approx. 95mm (approx. 3.74in) without hood, approx. 110mm (approx. 4.33in) with retractable hood
- Largest diameter: approx. 73mm (approx. 2.87in)
- Weight: approx. 975g (approx. 34.39oz)
According to SLR Magic’s press release, the HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95 will be made available from authorized SLR Magic dealers by the end of September 2012. However, volunteers who want to test out and review the lens for their websites or blogs can drop SLR Magic a line to get the scope at a discounted price.