This year is set to be a busy one for Nikon. The manufacturer has three more DSLRs scheduled for release, as well as a new AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G full frame lens. It seems their European webmasters are at the top of their game (or perhaps a wee bit careless) because the new AF-S Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED DX VR lens was leaked on their site yesterday.
Here are the main features of the lens:
- DX format 16.7x zoom lens with versatile 18-300mm focal range (FX/35mm equivalent:27 to 450mm)
- Vibration Reduction II (VR II) stabilization system enables more flexible hand-held shooting and lets you use shutter speeds that are up to 4 stops slower.
- Maximum aperture of f/5.6 at the telephoto end of the range.
- Zoom-lock switch keeps the lens secure when not in use.
- 9-blade rounded diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements blend together smoothly.
- Three ED glass and three aspherical lens elements ensure high resolution and superior contrast.
- SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for fast, whisper-quiet autofocus.
- Compact and lightweight design for a lens with this range.
And here are its specs:
- Focal length: 18-300 mm
- Maximum aperture: f/3.5-5.6
- Minimum aperture: f/22-32
- Lens construction: 19 elements in 14 groups (including 3 aspherical lens elements and 3 ED lens elements)
- Angle of view: 76 °-5 °20 ‘
- Focusing: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) System with autofocus controlled by Silent Wave Motor and separate focus ring for manual focus
- Minimum focus distance at 300 mm focal length: 0.45 m (1.48 ft) from focal plane
- Maximum reproduction ratio: 1/3.2x
- No. of diaphragm blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm opening)
- Filter-attachment size: 77 mm (P=0.75 mm)
- Dimensions: Approx. 83 mm diameter x 120 mm (distance from camera lens mount flange)
- Weight: Approx. 830 g (29.3 oz)
Nikon hasn’t revealed any specific announcement dates yet, although some sources estimate that it’s going to be coming in a few weeks’ time.[Nikon Rumors]