I think camera bags are one of those things that’s easy for a photographer to accumulate a lot of if they aren’t careful. Or maybe I am just trying to make myself feel better by coming up with a logic reason as to why I have more camera bags that I really need… It’s hard to find THE perfect bag because there always seems to be something that can be improved with the bag eventually! Regardless, that doesn’t change the fact that there’s a really awesome backpack on its way to store (and online) shelves sometime this spring, and it just may be that perfect bag, especially for outdoor and/or action photographers. MindShift Gear is the brainchild of Think Tank Photo and conservation photographer Daniel Beltra. This California-based collaboration between the two has resulted in a new kind of camera backpack that provides a new kind of access to the gear inside it. It’s called the Rotation 180° Professional backpack.
The Rotation 180° is built like a normal backpack but then it has a rotating belt pack that can be separated from the rest of the bag by swinging it 180 degrees around to your front, allowing easy and immediate access to what’s in the pack, without having to take off the backpack or slinging it over to one shoulder. Another thing that is pretty cool about this backpack is that the waist pack can be totally separated and used alone too. The belt pack can be configured to hold a variety of pro size equipment, and can actually hold a DSLR with a 70-200mm lens attached. (Nice!)
Some of its specs include the following:
- Large front pocket holds bulky items like a down jacket.
- Four tripod carrying options
- Removable tripod cup accessory holds large variety of tripod sizes or can be used to carry a snow shovel, helmet or other items.
- Waterproof rain cover allows full functionality of rotating belt pack.
- Side pocket holds up to a three-quart hydration bladder (not included).
- YKK RC Fuse zippers on main openings.
- Aluminum frame stabilizes and supports heavy loads.
- Belt pack’s modular rail holds lens cases and other components.
- 210D Green/black ripstop fabric is abrasion and weather resistant.
- Adjustable ice axe/ski attachment loops.
- Daisy chain loops allow customization
- Multi functional strap attachment system for holding snow board or extra gear.
MindShift did pretty thorough testing on men and women photographers ranging from 5’2” to 6’4”. The torso length of the bag is 18” and the belt will fit waists approximately from 28” to 48”. You can read more detailed specs on their Kickstarter page, here.
MindShift calls themselves a group of committed professional photographers and product designers who support conservation and protection of our natural resources and planet and are “dedicated to building carrying solutions for those who are passionate about experiencing the natural world.” They originated as a Kickstarter project that has met their funding goal as of January 2nd. The campaign on Kickstarter is over, but you can sign up on their website and get notified exactly when the Rotation 180° will be available. Check them out at: www.mindshiftgear.com