During the launch of the 5D Mark III, Canon also unveiled two new accessories to complement the new EOS camera: the Speedlite 600EX-RT and Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT.
The 600EX-RT is the successor of the 580EX II and features a built-in wireless radio, which is Canon’s first. And photographers who love finding new techniques in creative lighting will find the ST-E3-RT an important addition in their photography gear.
Key features of the Speedlite 600EX-RT:
• Guide number 60 (m, ISO 100, at 200mm)
• Radio triggering with 30m range
• Use up to 15 units together
• Infra-red wireless functionality
• Remote camera triggering
• Bounce-and-swivel head with zoom control
• White-balance correction filters
• Fast, quiet recycling
Key features of the Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT:
• Radio frequency remote flash trigger.
• Fire selected Speedlites from 30m away.
• Controls up to 15 flashguns.
• Remote camera triggering.
• Weather sealed against dust and moisture.
Syl Arena of Pixsylated.com did an evaluation of the 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT, and this is what he said:
“Canonistas, hold your heads high. Again, we are on the cutting edge of technology. Welcome to the future of Speedliting!”
Check out Arena’s video (shown below) where he used the new Speedlite system on location.